Aug 10, 2011

Out of My Mind




Out of My Mind

by Sharon M. Draper

My Rating:☺☺☺☺☺

My Review:

Melody is an eleven-year old girl who has never spoken a single word. This is because she was born with cerebral palsey-- which, in turn, means that she is totally paralized. (With the exception of her thumbs... which, for some ironic reason, work perfectly.

Many people assume that Melody is also mentally handicapped, but when she receives a special machine that allows her to speak for the first time, she begins to show her true abilities; she's a genius! Not everyone is thrilled that she is finally released from her fish bowl, however. (Did you catch my allusion to the cover? Now I feel really clever.)

This was an amazing book on several levels. One, the cover was awesome (I keep going back to that... why?), two, the characters were awesome, three, the story was awesome. The author did not sugarcoat anything, which in today's fiction seems like a very rare and pleasurable thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment