Mar 5, 2013

Maximum Ride Novel Series


Maximum Ride
by James Patterson


Novels in Series:
The Angel Experiment
School's Out-- Forever
Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports
Final Warning
MAX
FANG
ANGEL
Nevermore


Rating: I would recommend it, but only to a close friend who's dying of boredom.

What I Liked:
-the idea. Everyone always whines about how "unoriginal" a story about a group of escapee science experiments/superhuman children is, but honestly? Who cares? It's a fun base story and I love it.
-the readability. It wasn't hard to read, it wasn't insanely long. It was a fun read and didn't take me a lifetime. I don't really feel like I wasted time, at least not with the first one.
-some of the characters.

What I Did Not Like:
-the writing. It was messy and awkward. The chapters were weirdly short, and sometimes Mr. Patterson would skip over parts of the story.
-most of the characters. They were bland and seemed to serve one purpose alone-- stick to the plot and keep it moving. None of them were really developed at all.
-the plot holes. One could fill most of these holes with little effort, but Mr. Patterson couldn't be bothered. I personally have developed multiple headcanons explaining basically everything. Yeah, whatever.

Personal Thoughts:
-I was actually extremely in love with this series for a while. Like, obsessed to the point of ridiculousness.
-this was the first "grown up" book I read... after being dissatisfied by it, I went back to reading kid's books.
-James Patterson plays poker with Richard Castle. WOAH
-This series actually lends itself pretty well to graphic novel form-- and, of course, there are graphic novels to check out! I'd recommend those more than the actual novels.

Links:
Maximum Ride Spork*
*a spork is usually a malicious device used to starve KFC patrons, but it is also used to describe a certain kind of exaggerated review where the writer of the spork goes over each chapter of a novel and complains about everything that they don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment